Employees covered by some awards can access 2 weeks’ unpaid pandemic leave from 15 July 2022 until 31 December 2022. This follows a recent Fair Work Commission decision to add the entitlement back into these awards.
Eligible employees can access up to 2 weeks’ unpaid pandemic leave (or more by agreement with their employer) if they can’t work because:
- they’re required to self-isolate by government or medical authorities, or on the advice of a medical practitioner, or
- of measures taken by government or medical authorities in response to the pandemic (for example, an enforceable government direction restricting non-essential businesses).
The leave is available in full immediately to full-time, part-time and casual employees – employees don’t have to accrue it.
The awards with unpaid pandemic leave entitlements available are the:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Services Award
- Aged Care Award
- Ambulance and Patient Transport Award
- Health Professionals and Support Services Award
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Award
- Supported Employment Services Award.