From 1 July 2023, partnered couples can claim up to 20 weeks’ paid parental leave between them. Parents who are single at the time of their claim can access the full 20 weeks.
The former Dad and Partner Pay entitlement has been removed. The additional 2 weeks’ pay has been combined with the existing entitlement to 18 weeks Parental Leave Pay.
These changes affect employees whose baby is born or placed in their care on or after 1 July 2023.
Other changes include:
- allowing partnered employees to claim a maximum of 20 weeks’ pay between them, with each partner taking at least 2 weeks (except in some circumstances)
- introducing a $350,000 family income limit (indexed annually from 1 July 2024) for claiming paid parental leave pay
- expanding the eligibility rules for fathers or partners to claim paid parental leave pay
- making the whole payment flexible so that eligible employees can claim it in multiple blocks until the child turns 2
- removing the requirement to return to work to be eligible for the entitlement.